Are you seeking a meaningful career that will allow you to use your talents to make a real impact on the lives of others? We’re always on the lookout for talented professionals to add to our team.
Check back here often for new job postings, or contact us to inquire about current openings.
Current Available Positions:
GED Youth Counselor
Turning Point’s Education Center is a community-based program offering free ABE, GED, and ESOL classes, as well as support services. Our qualified staff is committed to creating a holistic learning community where students develop the skills to reach their goals. Peer support, student-centered learning, and critical thinking are a focus. Our basic literacy and GED programs primarily serve out-of-school youth, and our program embraces youth culture and youth development strategies. All classes are college-bound and career-bound.
The Youth Counselor works with students (primarily youth, but also adults) to identify, predict, and prevent obstacles to learning. S/he provides individual and group counseling, crisis intervention, goal setting, and employment readiness assistance. Counselors work closely with teachers and administrative staff to provide 360 degree service. Counselors are expected to attend staff meetings and trainings that will sharpen their skills.
Applicants to this position must be available to work evenings for three nights (Mon., Tue., Wed., and/or Thurs.)
Essential Job Functions
- Regular, confidential, individual supportive counseling for youth, proactively resolving student issues that may interfere with academic success
- Crisis intervention conferencing
- Refer students as needed, and assist and/or advocate for students to obtain: benefits, housing, school, employment, emergency assistance, shelter, daycare, and additional social services
- Facilitate group sessions that support holistic personal growth, provide resources to help overcome obstacles, and activities that build social skills
- Provide students with basic pre-professional and job guidance
- Create and maintain student files, for use both with other case managers and teachers, with special focus on information and documentation relevant to the student’s success at Turning Point
- Data: collect and maintain accurate data on student outcomes. Submit accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as required
- Collaborate with teachers by sitting in on classes and case conferencing on a regular basis to co-evaluate student progress
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and staff development sessions.
The following duties are to be performed as assigned by the supervisor:
- Design / facilitate special events and student productions
- Network and develop working relationships with other adult literacy and GED preparation programs
- Keep abreast of trends and developments in the fields relevant to the work of the Education Center, represent its work at professional networks and meetings, and advance the work and reputation of the Education Center in the community.
Education and Certification
MSW degree preferred, or Bachelor’s and equivalent experience working directly with adolescents and young adults in an advocacy/empowerment position.
Special Skills and Knowledge
The ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all of the following:
- Experience with and ability to positively engage a young, diverse population with many needs, and be knowledgeable of the issues facing youth
- Commitment to youth development principles
- Friendly, patient, helpful, and professional demeanor
- Experience with conflict resolution
- Ability to think and act independently
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge and belief in the mission of the agency
- Excellent leadership and collaborative skills
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and database skills, or ability to quickly learn
- Flexible schedule needed, within a 9am to 9pm, Monday to Thursday timeframe (Fridays 9am to 5pm); currently this position will work 3 evenings a week.
Bilingual a plus (Spanish, Cantonese, or Mandarin)
To apply for any of these positions, please send cover letter and resume to:
Attn: HR Department
5220 Fourth Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11220
Fax: (347) 391-2124
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!!