Home of Sunset Park Literacy Zone
Above: Jimmy, former Turning Point student
Below: Fan, former Turning Point student
About the Education Center
Turning Point Education Center is a community-based program offering free ABE/HSE & English classes, counseling, college & career support services, and the HSE test. Students need to be at least 16 years old to be in class.
For info about classes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
For info about the HSE test, please click here.
|Location:423 39th St. (between 4th Ave. and 5th Ave. – map it )
Brooklyn, NY 11232
Subway: D,N,R trains to 36th Street Station
Bus: B35, B37, B70, or B63.
We want our students to speak for themselves.
- If you haven’t already, watch our students in the videos above.
- You can also read Joel Serrano’s story (pictured above), as part of the YouCanToo! project.
- For 3 semesters, Turning Point students participated in a journalism internship, which they called Speak Up! Our students worked hard on their stories, which include profiles, op-eds, and street interviews.
- Finally, our blog has contributions from Ed Center staff. (And hopefully soon from students, too!)
New HSE Test
As you may have heard, New York State will be adopting a *new* High School Equivalency (HSE) test in 2014. The GED will no longer be the official test. If you’d like info about the new HSE test, we recommend exploring the official website: http://www.tasctest.com/
- YouCanToo!: Videos from other NYC students returning to school.
- We Are New York (WANY): Emmy Award-winning television show created to help immigrant New Yorkers practice English, while informing them of city resources. Watch online, and find ways to programs to practice English all over the city. Turning Point classes use WANY materials in the classroom and in our conversation classes.
- Know Before you Enroll: When choosing a school or training program, be careful to choose a legitimate program. This website offers tremendous resources to help you choose.
- Mayor’s Offices for Human Capital Development and for Adult Education
- Literacy Assistance Center, NYC’s Regional Adult Education Network (RAEN)
- Sunset Park Promise Neighborhood
- Sunset Park Alliance (SPA) Partners
- New York City Coalition for Adult Literacy (NYCCAL)
- Campaign for Tomorrow’s Workforce
- Fund for Public Advocacy
With support from
- New York State Education Department
- NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD)
- Brooklyn Community Foundation
- Robin Hood
- Altman Foundation
- New York Community Trust